Fern is sold by the bunches at the market and most commonly transformed into Fern Salad. So common, we’ve never seen it served in any way other than Fern Salad.
This salad is fresh and
The secret to fern salad is choosing good fern. Pick a young bunch by looking for fronds where they are still a little bit rolled up. The ends should be soft and pliable and easy to snap off without needing a knife. If the stalks are too woody, it’s too old and you could be making wood chip salad like our first time.
Half-bunch of fern (makes enough for 4 as a side)
Bowl of cold water (with ice is best)
1 milked coconut (or 1 can)
Additions (pick to taste)
Can of Sol Tuna Chilli tuna (or fresh raw fish)
Fresh brown/red onions
- Prepare fern by snapping stalks about two inches from the bottom-most leaf. Discard stalks. Wash and drain fern.
potof salted water to boil. Prepare bowlof cold water.
- Cut salad additions into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Lightly blanch fern for about a minute or so – it should turn a little darker in colour. Transfer to ice bowl.
- Split fern stems in half (down the stem, not across), then split in half again and put into serving dish. Squeeze lime through fern to keep fresh.
- When ready to serve, pour in the coconut, and toss in salad additions.
Serve it Solo styles in a baking dish to make it look legit.